Rocket from the Crypt
Rocket's debut album, released on Headhunter. There are several
editions of this record: the first two pressings were both on black
vinyl. You can recognize the actual first pressing by the sleeve,
trail-off wax matrix codes (see below), and vinyl. All of the later sleeves were
on a standard glossy cardboard, whereas the first pressing sleeve is on a
flat matte cardboard. Also, the Headhunter logo on the back is
different (see below). The first press vinyl is lighter than the
later ones, and actually appears as semi-translucent brown when held up to
the light. All of the pressings were made from the same masters, but
earlier versions have extra codes etched into the stamper.
- First pressing: Translucent black vinyl, matte cardboard sleeve with old Headhunter logo. Matrix codes: HED - 003 - A kdisc JG 29542 L-36999 and HED - 003 - B kdisc JG 29543 L-36999X.
- Second pressing: Black vinyl, glossy cardboard sleeve, standard Headhunter logo. The second pressing inserts were clearly copied from the first pressing inserts, and as a result, the black ink in them shows up as a little more grey than on the earlier versions. Matrix codes: HED - 003 - A kdisc JG 29763 L-36999 and HED - 003 - B kdisc JG 29764 L-36999X. The 29763 and 29764 are upside-down.
- There was then a solid yellow vinyl pressing, but that one came much later on (late-'90s). The yellow version has a gold "Limited Edition Color Vinyl" sticker on the front of the sleeve (on the outer plastic). The yellow one is generally more expensive than the black one because people love their colored vinyl. Matrix codes: HED - 003 - A kdisc JG L-36999 and HED - 003 - B kdisc JG L-36999X.
- Then, in 2011, another color surfaced - a rusty brown marble version. This was a new pressing. Cargo Records told me that they re-press these things whenever they run out, usually on a new color. I don't know if it is quite that simple, since we went more than a decade between new colors. Matrix codes: HED - 003 - A kdisc JG L-36999 and HED - 003 - B kdisc JG L-36999X.
- In 2012, a purple marble version appeared.  It would not surprise me if more were to surface... Matrix codes: HED - 003 - A kdisc JG L-36999 and HED - 003 - B kdisc JG L-36999X.
|Version||Approximate value ($)||Price Trending|
|HED-003 1st Press Black w/ insert||15-20||Down|
|HED-003 2nd Press Black w/ insert||12-15||Down|
|HED-003 Yellow Marble||20-30||Stable|
|HED-003 3rd Press Black||10-12||Stable|
|HED-003 2011 Press Brown Marble||12-15||Stable|
|HED-003 2012 Press Purple Marble||12-15||Stable|
|Test Pressing||Black vinyl, RTI labels with typewritten info|
This page was last updated on February 8, 2013.